One day, while browsing around random food-related sites, I came across a very intriguing recipe for a warm salad of roasted radishes and spring onions (here). I’ve always had radishes either raw, or cooked in indian stews & curries. I’ve never roasted them. And the photos looks so tempting. I had a bunch of French radishes knocking about in the fridge so I thought I’d give this a go at some point. I had got an orange as part of my ingredient swap a week or so ago, when I met up with some great people from the Chef At Large group, and I wanted to make something unusual and unique from that too.
And so, I ended up with this lovely warm salad. I must admit that the taste was a fair bit different to anything I had ever had as a salad, but it was nice. I loved the roasted radishes and will definitely do this again when I see a nice fresh bunch in the market.
- Bunch of radishes, cleaned and trimmed. In this recipe I have used the French ones, but regular round red ones woud do too. Trim the leaves, leaving a little bit of green at the top for coulour and appearance. If necessary trim the little trailing root at the bottom. as that will probably burn in the oven.
- 4-5 spring onions, cleaned, trimmed and cut into 3-4 pieces.
- 1 medium-sized orange, peeled and the segments trimmed of skin and pith. I had a large orange, so I cut the segments in half, you could leave them whole, depending on the size. The idea is that they should be ‘bite-sized’.
- 5-6 pecan nuts, roughly broken into 3-4 pieces.
- 10 pink peppercorns, crushed in a mortar and pestle.
- 1 tbsp soya sauce
- A couple of squeezes of fresh lemon juice
- Put the radishes into an oven tray lined with foil, with a drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkle of salt, and roast in a pre-heated oven at 180C for 20 mins or so until they are turning golden brown
- Heat a wok, and when it is smoking hot, pour a tsp of oil, bring it up to temperature and put the pink peppercorns in.
- When the peppercorns start releasing their peppery aroma, toss in the spring onions and stir-fry for 30 sec or so – just enough so that they start to sear.
- Add the soy sauce, the radishes, orange segments and pecan nuts, and toss until the sauce has coated all the ingredients.
- Remove from the heat, squeeze a little lemon juice over it and serve.